An Overview of Aluminum Electronics Enclosures: Applications, Benefits, & Types
Electronic enclosures are cabinets or racks designed to house electrical/electronic equipment. They protect the equipment from damage caused by environmental conditions or compounds and users from electrical shock caused by direct contact. Depending on the application in which they are employed, they can be made from a variety of materials. One of the most commonly used materials is aluminum.
Typical Applications for Electrical Enclosures
Electronic enclosures are found in facilities across a wide range of industries. Typical applications include:
- Building electrical and telecommunication rooms
- Chemical processing plants
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Testing and measurement / research facilities
- Manufacturing plants
- Mining, oil, and gas facilities
- Utility centers
- Defense and aerospace industry
Benefits of Using Aluminum for Electrical Enclosures
While electronic enclosures can be built from a number of materials, there are many advantages to choosing aluminum. For example:
- It is durable. Aluminum is a highly durable material, allowing enclosures made from it to maintain their shape even when subjected to strong forces.
- It is corrosion-resistant. Aluminum exhibits a natural resistance to corrosion, making it ideal for making enclosures that will be exposed to moisture.
- It is electrically conductive. Aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity, which makes it well-suited for use in electrical and electronic applications.
- It is not reactive to magnetic forces. Aluminum does not react to magnetic forces, so it can be used to create enclosures that shield the electrical/electronic equipment from electromagnetic frequency (EMF) and radio frequency interference (RFI).
- It is suitable for a variety of finishing techniques. Aluminum can be finished in many ways, such as black anodizing or powder coating, which allows enclosures made from it to be tailored to suit different customer needs.
Types of Aluminum Electronic Enclosures Available at A & J Manufacturing
A & J Manufacturing is a premier supplier of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) and custom electronic equipment enclosures. We use extruded aluminum alloys to create enclosures rated for different degrees of protection in a range of applications and environments. Our offerings include:
AJXR 100 Series
These light-duty enclosures are manufactured using 2500 Series aluminum extrusions. They are suitable for lightweight, shallow equipment that needs protection against rain, dust, and impact. They can handle static payloads up to 300 pounds and dynamic payloads up to 500 pounds. Their standard height is 72 inches, standard weight is 22.31 inches, and standard depths are 19, 24, or 30 inches.
AJM 150 Series
These medium-duty enclosures are manufactured using 6500 Series aluminum extrusions. They are suitable for most industrial and consumer rack applications that require shock and vibration protection. They can handle static payloads up to 600 pounds and dynamic payloads up to 1,200 pounds. Their standard height is 72 inches, standard weight is 22.31 inches, and standard depths are 19, 24, or 30 inches.
AJMR & AJSR 159 Series
These heavy-duty enclosures are manufactured using 9000 Series aluminum extrusions. They are lab- and field-tested to ensure suitability for mission-critical equipment and verified to offer protection against dust, vibration, and other harsh environmental conditions. They can handle static payloads up to 1,600 pounds. Their standard height is 72 inches, standard weight is 24 inches, and standard depths are 19, 24, or 30 inches.
Innovative Aluminum Electronic Enclosures From A & J
Looking for quality aluminum electronic enclosures? The experts at A & J are here to help! We provide a variety of standard light-duty, medium-duty, and heavy-duty enclosures and maintain various modification and customization capabilities to suit different customer requirements and restrictions.